Research Professor of Pastoral Ministries
MD, University of Kerala, 1988; PhD, Baylor College of Medicine, 1993; Post-doctoral Research, Baylor College of Medicine, 1995; Internship in Pediatrics, Texas Children’s Hospital, 1996; Residency in Dermatology, Boston University and Tufts University Schools of Medicine, 1999; ThM, Dallas Theological Seminary, 2002; PhD, University of Aberdeen, 2007.
Captivated by the intricacies of the interpretive movement from Scripture to sermon, Dr. Kuruvilla centers his ministry around homiletics: exploring preaching through research and scholarship, explaining preaching by training the next generation of church leaders, and exemplifying preaching in regular pulpit engagements. Before joining the Seminary full-time he was an adjunct professor in Pastoral Ministries. He has also served as interim pastor of several churches, and as president of the Evangelical Homiletics Society. Dr. Kuruvilla is a Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology, and he maintains an active clinical schedule. His research arenas include hermeneutics as it operates in the homiletical undertaking and the theology and spirituality of preaching and pastoral leadership. Single by choice, he also has a special interest in the theology of Christ-centered singleness and celibacy.
- TODD 309
- PM201 - Topical Expository Preaching
- PM101 - Spiritual Life
- PM103 - Expository Preaching I
- PM104 - Expository Preaching II
- PM202 - Advanced Expository Preaching
- A Vision for Preaching: Understanding the Heart of Pastoral Ministry: Baker Academic: 2015
- Ephesians: A Theological Commentary for Preachers: Cascade Books: 2015
- Genesis: A Theological Commentary for Preachers: Resource Publications: 2014
- Privilege the Text!: A Theological Hermeneutic for Preaching: Moody Publishers: 2013
- Mark: A Theological Commentary for Preachers: Wipf & Stock: 2012
- Text to Praxis: Hermeneutics and Homiletics in Dialogue: T. & T. Clark: 2009
- Kuruvilla, Abraham, "Book Review: Biblical Hermeneutics: Five Views, edited by Stanley E. Porter and Beth M. Stovell." Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society 13.2 (2013). 78-79.
- Kuruvilla, Abraham, "Book Review: Show Me How to Illustrate Evangelistic Sermons, R. Larry Moyer." Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society 13.2 (2013). 76-77.
- Kuruvilla, Abraham, "The Aqedah: What is the Author Doing with What He is Saying?." Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 54 (2012). 489-508.
- Kuruvilla, Abraham, "The Naked Runaway and the Enrobed Reporter of Mark 14 and 16: What is the Author Doing with What He is Saying." Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 54 (2011). 527-545.
- Kuruvilla, Abraham, "Pericopal Theology: An Intermediary between Text and Application." Trinity Journal 31 (2010). 265-283.
- Kuruvilla, Abraham, "Preaching as Translation via Theology." Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society 9 (2009). 85–97.
- Kuruvilla, Abraham, "Application as Improvisation." Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society 9 (2009). 36–52.
- Theology of preaching