Jay E. Smith
Department Chair and Professor of New Testament Studies
BS, Bowling Green State University, 1982; ThM, Dallas Theological Seminary, 1989; PhD, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 1996.
Various forms of ministry in the local church complement Dr. Smith’s role as a teacher in the New Testament department. He has a special interest in the apostle Paul’s letters and New Testament theology. He regularly contributes to leading academic journals and several professional societies. His current teaching and research interests include 1 Corinthians and sexual ethics in Pauline literature. "Dr. Jay" often uses sports, history, and music metaphors to help his students learn Greek grammar and syntax. And maybe someday he and his daughters, Karissa and Dayna, will hook a big one at the lake right by his house.
- NT2020 - Sem in Theology of Paul
- NT2035 - Sem on Apocalyptic Genre
- NT101 - Elements of Greek
- NT102 - Elements of Greek
- NT104 - Intro to NT Exegesis
- NT335 - The Book of 1 Corinthians
- NT415 - The New Testamnt & Sexual Ethics
- BS1002 - NT Backgrounds
- NT1001 - History of NT Interp & Crit
- NT1002 - NT Theology
- “Sentence Diagramming, Clausal Layouts, and Exegetical Outlining: Tracing the Argument” in Interpreting the New Testament Text: Introduction to the Art and Science of Exegesis Crossway: 2006
- “1 Corinthians” in Bible Knowledge Word Study: Acts–Ephesians Victor: 2006
- Smith, Jay E., "The New Perspective on Paul: A Select and Annotated Bibliography." Criswell Theological Review 3 (2005). 91-111.
- Smith, Jay E., "Another Look at 4Q416 2 ii.21, a Critical Parallel to First Thessalonians 4:4." Catholic Biblical Quarterly 63, no. 3 (2001). 499-504.
- Smith, Jay E., "1 Thessalonians 4:4: Breaking the Impasse." Bulletin for Biblical Research 11, no. 1 (2001). 65-105.
- Smith, Jay E., "Thomas Paine and The Age of Reason’s Attack on the Bible." The Historian 58 (1996). 745-61.
- Smith, Jay E., "Can Fallen Leaders Be Restored to Leadership." Bibliotheca Sacra 151 (1994). 455-480.
- Smith, Jay E., "The Theology of Charles Finney : A System of Self-reformation." Trinity Journal 13, no. 1 (1992). 61-93.
- Pauline literature and theology
- Collecting arrowheads