Senior Professor Emeritus of World Missions and Intercultural Studies
BA, Washington Bible College, 1964; MDiv, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 1967; ThM, 1969; DMiss, 1981.
A native of England who spent his formative years in the United States, Dr. Pocock always has subscribed to an intercultural approach to the gospel. Before joining the Seminary’s World Missions faculty in 1987, he pastored a culturally diverse church in Chicago. He also ministered for 16 years with The Evangelical Alliance Mission, first in Venezuela and later as mobilization director in Wheaton, Illinois. He continues to travel extensively in order to participate in missions ministries and conferences. Over the past several years Dr. Pocock has researched and written on the development of multicultural churches in America (2002) and the impact of globalization on missions (2005). He currently is researching human migration in Scripture and the implications for ministry worldwide. Dr. Pocock has been a visiting professor at Christian colleges and seminaries around the world, and in 2008 he began serving as chairman of the board for Evergreen Family Friendship Services/China.
- WM101 - Intro to World Missions
- WM215 - Dynamics of Missionary Develop
- DM103 - Applied Research Project
- WM310 - Ministry in Asian Contexts
- WM320 - Ministry European Contexts
- WM325 - Ministry Multicultural America
- WM335 - Min in Roman Catholic Contexts
- WM420 - Mission Strategy for Unreached Peoples
- WM425 - Intercultural Church Planting
- WM525 - Spiritual Warfare
- The Changing Face of World Missions: Engaging Contemporary Issues and Trends Baker: 2005
- The Centrality of Christ in Contemporary Missions (EMS vol. 12): William Carey Library: 2005
- Cultural Change and Your Church: Helping Your Church Thrive in a Diverse Society: Baker Books: 2002
- “Personnel for Our Generation.” in Reaching Our Generation William Carey Library: 1982
- Pocock, Michael, "Recruiting for the Frontiers : A Response." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 33 (1997). 152-153.
- Pocock, Michael, "Focus and Balance in Missionary Outreach." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 32 (1996). 160-164.
- Pocock, Michael, "A Report of the Evangelical Missiological Society." International Journal of Frontier Missions 10, no. 1 (1993). 40-40.
- Pocock, Michael, "The Destiny of the World and the Work of Missions." Bibliotheca Sacra 145 (1988). 436-451.
- Pocock, Michael, "Gaining Long-term Mileage from Short-term Programs." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 23, no. 2 (1987). 154-160.
- Pocock, Michael, "The Evangelical Alliance Mission." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 22, no. 2 (1986). 122-125.
- Pocock, Michael, "A Recruiter's View of Missionary Training." Evangelical Missions Quarterly 21, no. 4 (1985). 409-412.
- Pocock, Michael, "The Ecclesiological Product of the Ecumenical Movement." Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 12 (1969). 159-165.
- Intercultural communication
- Global missionary movements
- The relationship between Christianity and contemporary culture
- Spiritual warfare
- Helping churches minister to their ethnically diverse communities