Michael J. Svigel
Department Chair and Professor of Theological Studies
BS, Philadelphia Biblical University, 1996; ThM, Dallas Theological Seminary, 2001; PhD, 2008.
Michael J. Svigel (rhymes with “eagle”) has written or coauthored numerous resources targeting a Christian lay audience. As a scholar he regularly presents papers at the Evangelical Theological Society and has published articles in Bibliotheca Sacra, Trinity Journal, and Studia Patristica. His book titles include RetroChristianity: Reclaiming the Forgotten Faith, Heroes and Heretics: Solving the Modern Mystery of the Ancient Church, and he is co-editor of the Exploring Christian Theology series. Many of his written works—from scholarly articles to theological humor—can be found online at www.bible.org or www.retrochristianity.com. He and his wife, Stephanie, have three children, Sophie, Lucas, and Nathan.
- ST101 - Theological Method and Bibliology
- ST102 - Trinitarianism
- ST103 - Angelology, Anthropology, & Hamartiology
- ST104 - Soteriology
- ST105 - Sanctification & Ecclesiology
- ST106 - Eschatology
- HT101 - The Church to the Modern Era
- HT102 - Church in the Modern Era: Europe & America
- HT200 - History of Doctrine
- HT215 - Theology of the Early Church
- HT217 - Apostolic Fathers
- HT225 - Sem on the History & Theology of the Middle Ages
- HT245 - Theology of Karl Barth
- The Center and the Source: Second Century Incarnational Christology and Early Catholic Christianity Gorgias Press: 2016
- Evidence for the Rapture: A Biblical Case for Pretribulationism: Moody Publishers: 2015
- Exploring Christian Theology: Creation, Fall, and Salvation: Bethany House Publishers: 2015
- Exploring Christian Theology: Revelation, Scripture, and the Triune God: Bethany House Publishers: 2014
- Exploring Christian Theology: The Church, Spiritual Growth, and the End Times: Bethany House Publishers: 2014
- Exploring Christian Theology: The Church, Spiritual Growth, and the End Times Bethany House Publishers: 2014
- Exploring Christian Theology: Revelation, Scripture, and the Triune God Bethany House Publishers: 2014
- RetroChristianity: Reclaiming the Forgotten Faith: Crossway: 2012
- Heir of the Forgotten Realm: Baker Trittin Press: 2006
- Heroes and Heretics: Solving the Modern Mystery of the Ancient Church Insight for Living Publishing House: 2006
- “The First Century Two Ways Catechesis and Hebrews 6:1-6” in The Didache: A Missing Piece of the Puzzle in Early Christianity SBL Press: 2015
- “The History of Dispensationalism in Seven Eras” in Dispensationalism and the History of Redemption: A Developing and Diverse Tradition Moody Publishers: 2015
- Svigel, Michael J., "Extreme Makeover: Heaven and Earth Edition — Will God Annihilate the World and Re-Create it Ex Nihilo." Bibliotheca Sacra 171 (2014). 401-417.
- Svigel, Michael J., "What Child is This?: Darby's Early Exegetical Argument for the Pretribulation Rapture of the Church." Trinity Journal 35 (2014). 225-251.
- Svigel, Michael J., "The Center of Ignatius of Antioch's Catholic Christianity." Studia Patristica 45 (2010). 367–371.
- Svigel, Michael J., "Christ as Arche in Revelation 3:14—Source, Ruler, or Beginning?." Bibliotheca Sacra April-June 2004, no. 161 (2004). 215-231.
- Svigel, Michael J., "The Phantom Heresy: Did the Council of Ephesus (431) Condemn Chiliasm?." Trinity Journal 24 (2003). 105-112.
- Svigel, Michael J., "The Apocalypse of John and the Rapture of the Church: A Reevaluation." Trinity Journal 22 (2001). 23-74.
- Early church