Course credits with a minimum grade of C earned at other accredited seminaries and graduate theological schools are accepted to the extent that the courses are comparable to the seminary's stated requirements.
The following number of semester hours may be transferred:
- a maximum of 60 hours toward the ThM degree
- a maximum of 6 hours toward the STM degree and the Certificate of Graduate Studies
- a maximum of 30 hours toward the MA in Christian Education, the MA in Cross-cultural Ministries, the MA in Media Arts and Worship, the MA (Biblical Exegesis and Linguistics) and the MA (Christian Studies)
- a maximum of 45 hours toward the MA in Biblical Counseling
- a maximum of 12 hours toward the MBTS degree
- a maximum of 10 hours toward the DMin degree
To be evaluated for transfer credit, you must have an official transcript of your coursework sent to DTS. To be considered official, a transcript must be sent [directly from the school--bold], either as a hard copy or electronic copy (faxed copies are not acceptable). Transfer hours are not accepted for nondegree students except for those enrolled in the Certificate of Graduate Studies program. Transferability of credits earned at DTS is at the discretion of the receiving institution.
Some general guidelines we use in evaluating credit for transfer:
- Course work must be from a regionally accredited or ATS accredited institution.
- Course work must be comparable in content and depth of coverage. Survey courses will not be transferred for core classes, but in some cases may be transferred in as electives.
- We can only transfer in half of a completed program from another institution.
- Typically, course work more than 10 years old will not be transferred.
- You must have earned a 'C' or better in the course. Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit courses will not be transferred.
- Course work will be evaluated based on the degree program and Emphasis or Concentration, as noted in the student’s record. (If your program requires a Concentration and you have not chosen one, please do so and report that information to the Registrar's Office. ThM Emphasis selection can be done through the Advising Center.)
In some cases, we will need additional information (such as course syllabi or catalogs) and we will contact you.