Certificate of Graduate Studies (CGS)*
The CGS is a 30-hour program offers an introduction to seminary coursework for laypersons in the church which can be transferred into a full degree program. The CGS is also available in Chinese.
*Note: This degree was formerly titled Certificate of Biblical and Theological Studies (CBTS).
|BE101||Bible Study Methods and Hermeneutics||3|
|Other Bible Exposition Courses||6|
|ST101||Introduction to Theology||3|
|Other Systematic Theology Courses||6|
The CGS degree is based on the principle that any follower of Christ will benefit from advanced training in biblical and theological studies, becoming a more effective minister of the gospel wherever they serve. This degree is intended for those not planning on vocational ministry training.
Complete 100% Online or at any DTS Location
This certificate program provides a flexible course of study for:
- Christian laypersons who desire a short program of seminary studies to equip them for effective ministry in the local church or elsewhere
- those who wish to begin seminary studies on a trial basis to help them determine if they desire to pursue a degree program
- Christian workers with limited time available for seminary studies (Those who intend to enter a professional ministry are encouraged to apply for admission to one of the master's-level degree programs.)
- missionary candidates who anticipate service in nonprofessional ministries whose mission board requires graduate study in Bible and theology
- college graduates who want a year of seminary studies as a supplement to their undergraduate work
- spouses of current DTS students who want to complete a program of graduate seminary studies
To enable students to:
- demonstrate a general knowledge of the Bible
- evidence a general knowledge of premillennial theology and an ability to support their theological views.
To enable students to evidence an increasing likeness to Christ as manifested in love for God, love for others, and the fruit of the Spirit.
To enable students to evidence an interest and involvement in the local church or other ministries with which they are associated.
Admission requirements and application procedures for the Certificate of Biblical and Theological Studies program are the same as for all programs of study at the Seminary.
Thirty hours of coursework are required, consisting of 9 hours in Bible Exposition, 9 hours in Systematic Theology, 2 hours in Pastoral Ministries, and 10 hours of electives. Students are able to take up to 6 additional hours beyond the designated 30 hours without needing to apply to a degree program.
Flexibility in the Bible and theology courses and in the 10 hours of electives allows students to select courses suited to their particular interests and needs. Many, if not all, of these courses may be completed online. Contact the Admissions office or Registrar’s office for more information.
Transfer of up to six credit hours from accredited graduate theological schools is allowed toward the Certificate of Biblical and Theological Studies.
Students must normally have earned a grade of C or better (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) in order to be eligible to transfer a course from another institution to Dallas Theological Seminary. Transferability of credits earned at this institution and transferred to another is at the discretion of the receiving institution. Consult the Registrar’s Office for further information.
Additional optional info:
Thanks! We'll be in touch shortly. And please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or 800-3-DALLAS
Teach Truth. Love Well.