Master of Arts in Christian Leadership (MA/CL)
The MA/CL program propels students forward in their leadership development, preparing them for organizational leadership roles in a wide variety of ministry settings. The training prepares students to assume leadership positions in church, parachurch, missions, and marketplace contexts.
|Area of Study|
|Vision, Communication, and Leadership||10|
If you already work at a church or ministry you can earn up to 12 hours of credit towards your Christian Leadership degree just for doing what you already love to do. Learn more about the Ministry Residency.
Hear What Our Graduates Are Saying
-Drew Dickens, President and CEO of Need Him Ministries
"The Master's in Christian Leadership provides a graduate-level theological education for people called to senior leadership roles which might not involve a pulpit. The program enhances ministry and leadership skills both theologically and practically for those of us who are already serving. This degree is providing me with a strong biblical, theological and ministry oriented foundation with a specialized study in leadership. And with the ministry residency program I can earn credit by studying alongside my ministry."
The program leading to the Master of Arts in Christian Leadership (MA/CL) degree is designed to provide graduate-level biblical and theological education to prepare students for organizational leadership roles in a wide variety of ministry settings. The training prepares students to assume leadership positions in church, parachurch, missions, and marketplace contexts.
To enable students to:
- demonstrate a general knowledge of the Bible, including a synthetic understanding of the major books
- evidence an understanding of the historical development of theology, a knowledge of premillennial theology, and an ability to support their theological views and apply them to contemporary issues
- develop a biblically sound philosophy of Christian leadership.
To enable students to:
- evidence an increasing likeness to Christ as manifested in love for God, love for others, and the fruit of the Spirit
- develop deep levels of biblical and spiritual integrity in their own personal life, relationships, and ministry.
To enable students to:
- appraise the leadership needs of an organization
- design a leadership development plan for an organization
- demonstrate transformational leadership skills within an organization
Sixty-two semester hours of course work are required as a minimum for graduation. Of those hours, 22 are in prescribed Bible Exposition courses, 18 hours are in prescribed Systematic Theology courses, 2 are in Spiritual Life, 3 are in prescribed Christian Education courses, 12 are electives in leadership related courses from the Division of Ministry and Communication, and 3 hours are in a Servant Leadership Internship. A 2-hour applied research project is also required. There is a seven year time limit on completing any professional MA program.
Up to 12 Hours of Credit
DTS believes that preparation for ministry takes place both in the classroom and in the field of service. It is vital to link theory and practice. Instead of learning only in the isolation of the classroom, DTS supports learning happening within the community of faith as the student ministers in a ministry context and reflects on that experience. MA/CL students now have the option of completing either the new twelve credit hour Ministry Residency or a three credit hour Servant Leadership Internship.
Hear what our students are saying about the Ministry Residency:
Master of Arts in Christian Leadership (MA/CL) and Master of Theology (ThM) students now have the option of completing either a three credit hour Servant Leadership Internship or the new twelve credit hour Ministry Residency. Learn more about this option.
|BE101||Bible Study Methods and Hermeneutics||3|
|ST101||Introduction to Theology||3|
|SL305||Dynamics of Leadership||3|
|RS101||Orientation and Research Methods||1|
|BE102||Old Testament History I||3|
|BE109||Ruth, Psalms, Jonah, and Selected Epistles||3|
|SL335||Personal Assessment and Ministry Vision||2|
|BE103||Old Testament History II and Poetry||2|
|BE104||Old Testament Prophets||3|
|BE106||Acts and Pauline Epistles||3|
|ST103||Angelology, Anthropology, and Hamartiology||3|
|ST105||Sanctification and Ecclesiology||3|
|BE107||Hebrews, General Epistles, and Revelation||3|
|Applied Research Project2||2|
- M.A./CL students now have the option of completing either a three-credit-hour Servant Leadership Internship or the new twelve-credit-hour ministry residency. Students selecting the 3-hour internship have one calendar year (three consecutive semesters) to complete it. See the Spiritual Formation and Leadership department for more information.
- Students need one calendar year (three consecutive semesters) to complete the Applied Research Project. See the Spiritual Formation and Leadership department for more information.
MACL Approved Electives
|SF320||Spiritual Formation & Ministry in Contemporary Culture||2|
|PM301||Pastoral Theology & Leadership||3|
|PM540||Develop/Leading the Culturally Diverse Church||3|
|CE220||Evaluating Ministry Effectiveness||3|
|CE325||Legal & Financial Issues in Ministry||3|
|WM445||Business of Mission||2|
|SL310||Emotional Intelligence & Relationships in Leadership||2|
|SL315||Developing Leaders Through Mentoring & Coaching||2|
|SL320||Change and Resistance in Christian Leadership||2|
|SL330||Personal and Organizational Leadership Development||2|
|SL345||Christian Leadership and Organizational Culture||2|
|SL355||Readings in Leadership/Current Issues in Leadership||2|
|SL360||Leadership Evaluation and Development (L.E.A.D.)||3|
|SL901||Independent Study in Leadership||1-4|
|SL905||Special Topics in Spiritual Formation & Leadership||1-4|
(Alternate Courses may be approved on a case by case basis)
Online & Distance Studies
Students can complete the entire MA/CL degree at any of our approved campuses (Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Austin, Knoxville, San Antonio, or Tampa), but the degree can also be completed in any city through a combination of online classes, an internship, and week-long intensive courses.
To study via distance, you can break down your course work as follows:
- 41 hours online - You can complete up to 2/3 or (41 hours) of your degree online. This is the maximum that our accrediting body (ATS - the Association of Theological Schools) allows.
- 12 hours in ministry - You can earn 12 hours of credit in your existing ministry through an approved Ministry Residency or Servant Leadership Internship.
- 9 hours on campus - For the remaining 9 hours of course work, you can take week-long intensive courses during the winter and summer terms at the campus most convenient for you.
The Mobile MA/CL enables you to stay in your current ministry while DTS partners with your local church to offer a seminary degree tailored to help you better love and serve your people. Learn about our current Mobile MACL programs in Pittsburgh, Nashville, and Fargo.
DTS Profs in Your City
Complete in 4 Years
Only 4 Weeks in Dallas
Additional optional info:
Thanks! We'll be in touch shortly. And please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or 800-3-DALLAS
Teach Truth. Love Well.