|Time||Saturday, May 9, 2014 10:00 AM–12:15 PM|
|Location||Prestonwood Baptist Church (map)
6801 W. Park Blvd.
Plano, TX 75093
(NW corner of Midway and W. Park)
|Speaker||Dr. Michael Easley, teaching pastor, Fellowship Bible Church of Nashville|
Arrive promptly at 8:30 a.m. Meet in the choir loft (at 8:30), in the worship center for the class photo and instructions. You will not wear your regalia for the photo.
- The Commencement Ceremony is at Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano. The church is located at 6801 W. Park Blvd (NW corner of Midway and W. Park). The church is only a few blocks west of the Dallas North Tollway on W. Park (NOT Parker). The quickest way to the church is up the Dallas North Tollway from downtown or from I-635 if coming from the east or west. Allow at least 35 minutes to get to the church from the Seminary or from Garland/Mesquite. Prestonwood has ample parking for our event, but allow a few minutes to get from your car into the building. Graduates should plan to be in the choir loft by 8:30 a.m., so plan accordingly.
View Larger Map
- Graduates will reassemble in the choir room promptly after the photo for final instructions, robing, and lineup. Signs will be available to direct you. It is important that you move quickly to the choir room as we have a lot of information to cover in a short time.
- Men should wear a shirt and tie under the robe. Dark trousers, dark socks, and dark shoes are preferred. To maintain consistency and the proper decorum, graduates should not wear any external decoration on the outside of their regalia. International students are welcome to wear native attire under their regalia as appropriate and consistent with the regalia. Even so, dark clothing is preferred.
- Hoods for ThM, STM, and DMin graduates are trimmed in scarlet, which represents the discipline of theology; hoods for MA graduates are trimmed in white, which represents arts and letters; hoods for PhD graduates are trimmed in blue, which represents the discipline of philosophy. All hoods have the Seminary’s school colors, royal purple and gold, on the inside. Make sure you have the appropriately colored hood. Contact the Registrar’s Office if your hood is the incorrect color. Certificate students do not wear hoods since they are not degree graduates.
- The actual line-of-march will form promptly at 9:20 a.m. It is important that you line up as quickly as possible. The processional will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m. The line-of-march is where you will be given your name card which you will need as you cross the stage to receive your diploma. Please provide the Academic Dean’s Office (214-887-5010) the correct pronunciation of your name if you think it might get mispronounced.
- In the processional, the tassels are to be kept to the right. The caps for all graduates (men and women) should be worn so that the mortarboards are level and not tilted.
- In the Commencement service the men should remove their caps at the singing of the doxology and should not replace them until the academic dean presents the graduates for their degrees. Women keep their caps on for the entire ceremony. Watch when the faculty remove and replace their caps
- All those who participate in the Commencement ceremony will receive a diploma cover when crossing the stage, not their actual diploma. Diploma covers are kept by the Seminary for use at the Commencement ceremony. They need to be returned when returning regalia and picking up diplomas. Spring graduates may pick up diplomas near the regalia return table in the foyer after the ceremony. If you are a summer participant (or if you have already received your degree), please turn in your diploma cover with your regalia.
If you have questions about any of the graduation events, please contact either the Academic Dean's Office 214-887-5010 or the Registrar's Office 214-887-5350.