Participating faculty will identify a particular assignment that already exists (or possibly design a new assignment) that allows for a learning through service (L-S) optional assignment. Students who choose to do an Agape assignment in a particular course will notify the professor and substitute an L-S option for the normal required assignment.
This is a growing list of courses, so other options may become available. Typically, the professor offers an Agape assignment as an option, but occasionally it is *required.
Be sure to check the course schedule each semester to confirm availability.
|BE107||Gonzales, *Pond, Waters|
|EML101||Edwards, McLaughlin, Shyu|
The following example illustrates the types of Agape assignments that may be available in various courses.
BE107 Hebrews, General Epistles, and Revelation
This assignment will count as part of an L-S assignment. Students will interact with one of the following applying the principles that they have observed from the study of James or 1 Peter. Focus is on the application of passages from one of these books to the student’s experience in the field. Choose one of the following.
- Visit, observe, and interact with a church Disability Ministry.
- Evaluate and assess the interest and need for a Disability Ministry in your home church if one does not exist.
- Interview an individual who works in a Disability Ministry field.
- Interview an individual with a disability or family who has a member with a disablement. Seek to gracefully listen and learn from their perspective regarding life with disability (not counsel, not judge, and not instruct).
- Visit, observe, and interact with a grief- or disability-related support group. Both Christian and secular groups (such as a Parkinson’s group, a cancer support group, hospice care, or a hospital chaplain) can be visited.
- Shadow a Home Health RN, Physical Therapist, or Occupational Therapist for up to 3 hours.
- Attend and interact with attendees at a local Gospel Mission or homeless center.
- Other ideas that the student may have can be approved by the professor.
A minimum of 15 total contact hours are required. Write a 4- to 5-page reflection paper regarding the type of ministry or group observed, the experiences themselves, and lessons learned. At least three written sources are to be referenced that correspond to the ministries observed. For example, if a Parkinson’s support group or a Disability Ministry is visited interact with the passages from your book choice (James or 1 Peter) from at least 3 sources on either James or 1 Peter as those sources apply to what you have observed.
- Walvoord 207B