DMin Program Overview
The Doctor of Ministry program offers two tracks of study: Ministry Leadership and Spanish Ministry Leadership. Students may select different emphases within each of the two tracks. While the DMin program generally follows a standard model in which students, in consultation with their advisor, design and customize their degree plan around individual ministry needs and goals, some emphases follow a cohort model. In the cohort model, students proceed through the courses necessary for their emphasis with a small group of ministry colleagues. This group moves through the designated part of the program together. The cohort model has the advantage of providing a community experience with fellow learners and faculty mentors.
Ministry Leadership Track
The Ministry Leadership track is designed to equip students for greater ministry effectiveness in their respective areas of leadership. Ministry leaders can concentrate their individualized plan of study in Church Planting, Expository Preaching, Pastoral Leadership, Marriage and Family, Urban Ministries, or customize their own concentration. The Ministry Leadership track also offers the following cohort emphases.
- Advanced Expository Preaching
- This emphasis provides advanced training in the art and discipline of expository preaching as practiced in a church context. This specialty will reaf rm and re ne the principles of homiletics. The courses will also address leading from the pulpit, long-range sermon planning, and preaching the major biblical genres with accuracy and creativity. This cohort-based program will further provide advanced study in audience analysis, variety in sermon structures, mentoring in homiletics and preaching to the post-modern generation. Key aspects of this cohort specialty are peer group interactive learning and individual mentoring in homiletics.
- Church Health, Leadership, and Multiplication
- This emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for church pastors and church planters. It focuses on an evaluation of problems, programs and/or procedures unique to church leaders through case-study methodology, with special attention given to church health, leader- ship development, and ministry multiplication.
- Executive/Associate Pastors
- This emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for executive and associate pastors serving in the local church. This training specialty supports and promotes pastoral leader- ship development through the evaluation of problems, programs, and/or procedures unique to executive and associate church leaders. Attention is given to leadership development and case-study research method.
- Large Church Pastors
- This emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for pastors serving in large churches. It is designed to support and promote pastoral leadership development through the evaluation of problems, programs and/or procedures unique to pastors of large churches. Attention is given to leadership development and case-study research method.
- Multicultural Ministry
- This emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for multicultural church leaders serving the local church and parachurch organizations. This cohort program is designed to help ministry leaders through a study of the principles, leadership issues, challenges, and opportunities uniquely confronting multicultural church leaders with the goal of helping students take their ministry to the next level. Attention is given to leadership development and case-study research method. This cohort is hosted at the DTS Houston Campus.
- Marriage and Family Ministry
- This emphasis explores biblical and theological foundations, cutting edge programs, and ministry education strategies. Certi cation in the use of research-based tools for marriage and family educators will be included. A major focus will be to design sustainable, context-speci c marriage and family ministries, particularly in the church.
- Spiritual Formation
- This emphasis provides advanced training in Christian spiritual formation for ministry practitioners. Special attention will be given to the theology and history of Christian spirituality, personal and corporate practices of spiritual formation, and the process of providing spiritual nurture and guidance to others. This cohort- based program will further provide advanced study on such topics related to the history and practice of soul care, spiritual direction, and spiritual formation in small groups.
- Women in Ministry
- This emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for women. It is designed to support and promote the complementary role of men and women in ministry.
Spanish Ministry Leadership Track
The Spanish Ministry Leadership track is designed to equip Spanish-speaking students for greater ministry effectiveness in their respective areas of leadership. This program of study is offered on the campus of Seminario Teológico Centroamericano (SETECA) in Guatemala City for leaders in Latin America, Spain, North America, and elsewhere. Spanish ministry leaders can concentrate their individualized plan of study in Church Planting, Expository Preaching, Pastoral Leadership, Marriage and Family, Urban Ministries, or customize their own concentration.
- Ron Blue - Coordinator of the Spanish DMin Program; Adjunct Professor in DMin Studies
- Ana Maria Campos - Adjunct Professor in DMin Studies
- Oscar Lopez - Professor of Pastoral Ministries
- Jim Adams - Former President, Central American Theological Seminary/SETECA, Guatemala; Adjunct Professor in DMin Studies
DMin Extension Programs
The seminary offers DMin classes in two locations outside the Dallas area: Guatemala City, Guatemala and Houston, Texas. These extension sites are designed to provide greater access to DMin studies for interested students.
The DMin extension in Guatemala City is the seminary’s Spanish language DMin program for leaders in Latin America, Spain, North America, and elsewhere. It is offered on the campus of Seminario Teológico Centroamericano (SETECA) in Guatemala City. The courses offered in the Spanish DMin program are the same as those offered in Dallas, but are contextualized for the Spanish-speaking world. All courses in the Spanish DMin program can be completed at SETECA. Interested students should contact the DMin office for more information.
The DMin extension in Houston meets on the campus of the College of Biblical Studies. The Houston Campus is designed to make the DTS DMin degree more accessible to students living in the larger Houston metroplex; however, any DMin student may take courses at the extension site. International students entering the United States on an F-1 student visa are required to take all DMin courses at the Dallas main campus.
Pastor and Teacher, Faith Community Church
“I’ve chosen the DMin to further hone ministry skills while continuing to serve. Each professor has expected the work to focus upon my church. As a result, the degree has benefited the congregation as much as it has benefited me. I have enjoyed discussing and brainstorming solutions to ministry problems with other men who are in similar situations.
“The degree is enhancing my ministry. The foundation was laid in the masters program but the development of practical ministry is the focus of the DMin.”
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin)
- Doctor of Educational Ministry (DEdMin)
- DMin Program Overview
- Purpose & Goals
- Cohort-Based DMin Approach
- Admissions Requirements
- Tuition and Fees
- Scholarships & Discounts
- Course Requirements
- DMin Course Design
- Information for Church Boards
- Research Resources
- Sample Dissertations
- DMin en Español
- Important Dates