MA in Christian Education(MA/CE) Advising
The Advising Center wants to help you make informed decisions as you progress toward graduation. MA/CE students often ask three questions:
- 1. How do I select an MA/CE Concentration?
The MA/CE degree includes 12 elective credit-hours. Students can select a customizable concentration intended to prepare them for their planned ministry context. MA/CE students should consult with the faculty member who oversees their desired ministry concentration in order to select electives which will best prepare them for their desired ministry or vocation. A concentration and appropriate electives must be selected before students have completed 30 credit-hours of their degree program.
- How does the stated purpose of this concentration strengthen my gifts and shore up my weaknesses?
- What skills or concepts do I want to gain or master as a result of my study?
- For what ministry context am I preparing?
- Fill out section one of the MA/CE concentration form to the right.
- Meet with the faculty member who oversees the concentration you desire to pursue. He or she will guide you in selecting electives which will best prepare you for your desired ministry context.
- Submit the MA/CE concentration selection form with faculty and student signatures to the Advising Center for review.
- Once your concentration gains final approval, you will receive a confirmation email noting your concentration and approved electives.
- 2. How do I meet my 22-hour residency requirement?
Students should be aware that many Christian Education electives required for various concentrations are only available on the Dallas campus during fall and spring semesters. Students in the MA/CE program should contact the Educational Ministries and Leadership department for more information regarding planned elective offerings. Certain concentrations may require a student to commute or live in Dallas for a semester or more.
Additionally, 22 credit-hours of the MA/CE degree must be completed in a classroom at the Dallas or Houston campuses. See our Tools and Timelines for more information regarding residency.
DTS provides several opportunities for students seeking to complete the MA/CE to earn residency credit:
- Dallas or Houston Courses
Courses are offered in day, evening and weekend formats at our Dallas and Houston campuses. See the DTS course schedule for current and future course offerings.
We have created a plan which allows students to satisfy residency and elective requirements for the MA/CE while spending only two semesters in Dallas:
Fall Spring SF110 (see SF Office) SF110 (continued) CE101 (3 hours) CE103 (2 hours) CE Electives (6 hours) CE104 (1 hour) BE10X (3 hours) CE Electives (6 hours) ST10X (3 hours) Total: 12 hours Total: 12 hours
- Intensive Courses
DTS offers one and two-week-long intensive courses during our Summer and Winter sessions each year. Students complete pre and post coursework, and attend lectures for one to two weeks. See the course schedule for current and future course offerings.
SuperWeeks are designed to enable students to earn at least five hours of course credit in just one week. These five hours also count toward the 22-hour overall residency requirement of the MA/CE degree. Not all SuperWeek course offerings will satisfy requirements for your degree. Please verify your degree requirements prior to registering for SuperWeek.
- Dallas or Houston Courses
- 3. How do I start my Servant Leadership Internship?
The MA/CE internship (SL165) is a two-credit, supervised field-based education course in one or more forms of Christian education ministry and educational leadership. This is completed under the supervision and encouragement of an experienced ministry mentor. Students should begin their internship after the completion of 30 credit-hours, CE102: History and Philosophy of Christian Education, and progress toward completion of SF100 or SF110.
In order to register for the internship, students should meet with the Internship Office. An Internship Advisor will be able to guide students in selecting an appropriate internship.
This page provides basic information. Academic Advisors are happy to come alongside you as you journey with the Lord. Schedule an advising appointment today!
The following credit hour timeline is designed to serve as a guide as you progress through seminary. For particular questions please contact the Advising Center.
0 – 15 hours into the program
16 – 30 hours into the program
31 – 45 hours into the program
- Check in with the Advising Center regarding progress toward degree completion
- Begin Internship
- Complete Graduation Application
- Walvoord - 1st Fl
- M--F: 8:00am-4:30pm
- Student Services
- Advising Center
- Area Activities
- Kerygma News
- Student Groups
- Student Ministry and Job Board
- The Compassionate Servant