Chapel: Emerging Adolescence and the Church
January 13, 2015
Darrell L. Bock, Mark Matlock, and Jay L. Sedwick
Topic Time Codes
- Dr. Bock and Matlock explain that adjustment from adolescent life and singleness to family life has shifted from the late teens to the late twenties and sometimes early thirties.
- The difference between emerging adulthood and extended adolescence.
- How has the Church reacted to this phenomenon of shifted adolescence?
- Matlock discusses what Youth Specialties is doing to try to aid the Church to minister to those in this stage of life.
- The impact that this shift of adolescence plays in the way one teaches Christian education in the local church.
- The impact over-emphasizing families in the local church has had on those who do not come from the “ideal” family.
- How does the local church balance the preferences and cultures of older and younger generations?
- The challenges and advantages of the “fluidity” of individuals who float back and forth between congregations.
- How does a local church avoid being viewed as just another institution of which one is a part?
- Understanding the three phases of adolescence.
Millennials Leaving the Church July 18, 2017 In this episode, Darrell L. Bock, Kat L. Armstrong, Sam Eaton, and Nika Spaulding discuss millennials leaving the church, focusing on how to better engage with this demographic.
Diversity and Reconciliation in the Early Church June 20, 2017 In this episode, Drs. Darrell L. Bock and Michael Burer discuss diversity and racial reconciliation in the early church, focusing on issues addressed in Paul’s letters.
The Struggle with Infertility May 30, 2017 In this episode, Dr. Darrell Bock, Sandra Glahn and Julie Shannon Fuller discuss the social, financial and spiritual challenges facing couples who struggle with infertility.
Ministering to Millennials May 16, 2017 In this episode, Dr. Darrell Bock and Alistair Begg discuss ministering to millennials, focusing on common desires and struggles facing millennials.
Brave New World May 2, 2017 In this episode, Dr. Darrell Bock and Dr. Russell Moore discuss cultural engagement, focusing on the relationship between the Gospel and Politics.
Multiculturalism and Personal Identity April 18, 2017 In this episode, Dr. Darrell Bock and Dr. Jenny McGill discuss multiculturalism, focusing on the effects of changing cultural contexts on identity formation.
How Can Women and Men Better Minister Together? March 28, 2017 In this episode, Drs. Darrell Bock, Sue Edwards, Sandra Glahn, Jeanne Ballard and Michelle Woody discuss how women and men can better work together in ministry.