Michael J. Svigel
Department Chair and Professor of Theological Studies
BS, Philadelphia Biblical University, 1996; ThM, Dallas Theological Seminary, 2001; PhD, 2008.
Besides teaching both historical and systematic theology at DTS, Dr. Svigel is actively engaged in teaching and writing for a broader evangelical audience. His passion for a Christ-centered theology and life is coupled with a penchant for humor, music, and writing. Dr. Svigel comes to DTS after working for several years in the legal field as well as serving as a writer with the ministry of Insight for Living. His books and articles range from text critical studies to juvenile fantasy. He and his wife, Stephanie, have three children, Sophie, Lucas, and Nathan.
- ST101 - Theological Method and Bibliology
- ST102 - Trinitarianism
- ST103 - Angelology, Anthropology, & Hamartiology
- ST104 - Soteriology
- ST105 - Sanctification & Ecclesiology
- ST106 - Eschatology
- HT101 - The Church to the Modern Era
- HT102 - Church in the Modern Era: Europe & America
- HT200 - History of Doctrine
- HT215 - Theology of the Early Church
- HT217 - Apostolic Fathers
- HT225 - Sem on the History & Theology of the Middle Ages
- HT245 - Theology of Karl Barth
- The Center and the Source: Second Century Incarnational Christology and Early Catholic Christianity Gorgias Press: 2016
- Evidence for the Rapture: A Biblical Case for Pretribulationism: Moody Publishers: 2015
- Exploring Christian Theology: Creation, Fall, and Salvation: Bethany House Publishers: 2015
- Exploring Christian Theology: Revelation, Scripture, and the Triune God: Bethany House Publishers: 2014
- Exploring Christian Theology: The Church, Spiritual Growth, and the End Times: Bethany House Publishers: 2014
- Exploring Christian Theology: The Church, Spiritual Growth, and the End Times Bethany House Publishers: 2014
- Exploring Christian Theology: Revelation, Scripture, and the Triune God Bethany House Publishers: 2014
- RetroChristianity: Reclaiming the Forgotten Faith: Crossway: 2012
- Heir of the Forgotten Realm: Baker Trittin Press: 2006
- Heroes and Heretics: Solving the Modern Mystery of the Ancient Church Insight for Living Publishing House: 2006
- “The First Century Two Ways Catechesis and Hebrews 6:1-6” in The Didache: A Missing Piece of the Puzzle in Early Christianity SBL Press: 2015
- “The History of Dispensationalism in Seven Eras” in Dispensationalism and the History of Redemption: A Developing and Diverse Tradition Moody Publishers: 2015
- Svigel, Michael J., "Extreme Makeover: Heaven and Earth Edition — Will God Annihilate the World and Re-Create it Ex Nihilo." Bibliotheca Sacra 171 (2014). 401-417.
- Svigel, Michael J., "What Child is This?: Darby's Early Exegetical Argument for the Pretribulation Rapture of the Church." Trinity Journal 35 (2014). 225-251.
- Svigel, Michael J., "The Center of Ignatius of Antioch's Catholic Christianity." Studia Patristica 45 (2010). 367–371.
- Svigel, Michael J., "Christ as Arche in Revelation 3:14—Source, Ruler, or Beginning?." Bibliotheca Sacra April-June 2004, no. 161 (2004). 215-231.
- Svigel, Michael J., "The Phantom Heresy: Did the Council of Ephesus (431) Condemn Chiliasm?." Trinity Journal 24 (2003). 105-112.
- Svigel, Michael J., "The Apocalypse of John and the Rapture of the Church: A Reevaluation." Trinity Journal 22 (2001). 23-74.
- Early church