chapel message with Mike Lawson and Don Regier

The Story of our Heritage

Founding and Growth 

In the fall of 1924 the first student body of Dallas Theological Seminary met to study under the noted Bible teacher, Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer. This class of thirteen students was the result of Dr. Chafer’s burden and vision to found a seminary that would emphasize expository preaching and teaching of the Scriptures.

In 1935 the seminary pioneered the four-year Master of Theology (ThM) degree, which is a year longer than the three-year Master of Divinity (MDiv) offered at most other seminaries. The ThM gives all the essential theological courses offered in a three-year curriculum with additional emphasis in systematic theology, Hebrew and Old Testament exegesis, Greek and New Testament exegesis, and Bible exposition.

In 1974 the seminary instituted the two-year Master of Arts (MA) program in Biblical Studies for students whose ministries would not require the in-depth language training of the ThM program (name changed to Master of Arts [Christian Studies] MACS in 2015). The Doctor of Ministry (DMin) degree began in 1980 to provide further pastoral training for seminary graduates to meet the changing demands of ministry. In 1982 the seminary began the MA in Christian Education so students could receive specialized training for Christian ministries. In 1987 the MA program in Cross-cultural Ministries was inaugurated to give specialized missions training.

In 1993 the seminary launched a three-year MA in Biblical Counseling (MABC) degree program and a two-year MA in Biblical Exegesis and Linguistics (MABEL) degree program. The latter program is offered jointly with the Dallas International University located in south Dallas. In 2005 the seminary launched the MA in Media and Communication (MAMC) degree program for those interested in employing the media arts in ministry (name changed to Master of Arts in Media Arts and Worship in 2013). In 2011 the seminary began offering the Master of Arts in Christian Leadership (MACL) degree program. The Master of Biblical and Theological Studies (MBTS) program and the academic Master of Arts degree with majors in Old Testament Studies, New Testament Studies, and Theological Studies began in 2015.

Outstanding leadership and scholarly expertise have characterized the seminary’s presidents:

Throughout the seminary’s history it has steadfastly maintained its allegiance to biblical truth. A doctrinal statement articulates the beliefs of DTS, and each year the faculty and members of the boards reaffirm their agreement with this statement.

Prominent Professors over the Years

Historical Milestones

2021

2020

  • Mark Yarbrough becomes the sixth president
  • Masters in Apologetics and Evangelism (MAAE)
  • Masters in Chaplaincy and Ministry Care (MACP)
  • Atlanta became a campus

2016

  • Passion Global Institute extension program begun in Atlanta, GA
  • First online course in Spanish offered as part of DTS en Español initiative
  • Knoxville Extension relocated to Nashville

2015

  • Master of Biblical and Theological Studies program begun (MBTS)
  • The academic Master of Arts degree program (MA) with majors in Old Testament, New Testament, and Theological Studies begun
  • Master of Arts (Biblical Studies) renamed to Master of Arts (Christian Studies)

2014

  • Reaffirmation of accreditation with both SACSCOC and ATS for 10 years

2013

  • Approved fully online MABS degree
  • Offered all students Logos Bible Software
  • Established Mobile Seminary program

2011

  • Master of Arts in Christian Leadership (MACL)

2010

  • Dedication of the Miller Prayer Chapel
  • Washington, DC extension program established

2009

  • "Marriage and Family" DMin cohort established
  • Certificate of Graduate Studies completion program for non-graduate alumni

2008

  • Washington Hall single-student apartment complex completed
  • "Women in Ministry" DMin cohort established

2006

  • First online course in Chinese offered

2005

  • Campbell Academic Center renovated
  • Master of Arts in Media and Communication (MAMC) degree program
  • Approval by ATS to offer the full ThM and MACE programs in Houston

2004

  • Online education program
  • Approval by ATS to offer the full MACS degree at Atlanta and Austin extensions
  • DMin program in Spanish offered through SETECA
  • Chafer Chapel renovated

2003

  • Reaffirmation of accreditation with both SACS and ATS for 10 years

2002

  • Swiss Tower student apartment complex completed

2001

  • Mark Bailey became fifth president

1999

  • Reaffirmation of Accreditation with ATS for 10 years
  • Atlanta and Austin extension programs

1994

  • Charles Swindoll became fourth president
  • Accredited by Association of Theological Schools

1993

  • Houston and Chattanooga extension programs established
  • Master of Arts in Biblical Counseling
  • Master of Arts in Biblical Exegesis and Linguistics program
  • ThD nomenclature changed to PhD

1992

  • Christian Education in DMin program

1991

  • Certificate of Graduate Studies program started

1990

  • Joined Association of Theological Schools

1988

  • San Antonio extension program established

1987

  • Master of Arts in Cross-cultural Ministries program

1986

  • Donald Campbell became third president
  • Center for Christian Leadership established

1981

  • Master of Arts in Christian Education program started

1980

  • Doctor of Ministry program started

1970

  • Summer School program launched
  • Master of Arts in Biblical Studies program

1969

  • Accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Name changed to Dallas Theological Seminary

1960

  • Mosher Library erected

1953

  • Chafer Chapel construction completed

1952

  • John F. Walvoord became second president

1936

  • Name changed to Dallas Theological Seminary and
  • Graduate School of Theology

1935

  • Master of Theology (ThM) program started

1934

  • First issue of Bibliotheca Sacra published on campus

1927

  • Davidson Hall, first permanent building, erected
  • Doctor of Theology (ThD) degree program initiated

1926

  • Current campus site purchased

1925

  • Doctrinal statement officially adopted

1924

  • Evangelical Theological College established
  • Lewis Sperry Chafer became first president