Skip to Content

Studying at DTS

Study Restrictions for Internationals

Dallas is the main campus approved to enroll F-1 student visa and J-1 exchange students. If you are applying to come on a student F or J visa, you must study full-time and attend the Dallas campus.  Study at the extension sites of San Antonio, Washington DC, Austin, and Atlanta is strictly prohibited by immigration law. Proof of status must be submitted to the International Student Office. Those who are in B-1 or B-2 status may not attend school full-time, as this would constitute a violation of their visitor visa status.  If you are currently a non-immigrant worker residing in the U.S., you may apply to study at an extension campus only for non-degree or part-time purposes and if your study is incidental to your main purpose (your visa category) for being in the US.

Proof would include at least the following:

  1. photocopy of the identity page and the expiry date page (if different) of your passport.
  2. photocopy of current visa or receipt of status notification
  3. an approval letter from the body responsible for overseeing the main visa activity (e.g. employer) certifying that the visa activity is currently valid, and that non-degree, part-time, and short-term study at DTS would not interfere with the applicant’s main visa purpose for employment.

Student Course Load

To comply with government regulations, you must register and complete at least 12 credit hours per semester (master’s degrees), and 6 hours (doctoral degrees). Students who receive scholarships are required to complete a total of 30 credit hours per year. The Citizenship and Immigration Services receives regular notification of any student failing to maintain full-time status, and if there is no authorization from the International Student Office, the student is deemed out of legal status and liable for deportation.

Studying Off Campus

International students enrolled full-time are permitted to study at the Dallas main campus. For an international already living in the US on a non-student visa, they may be approved to study part-time, if the study is not conflictual with their full-time pursuit. For internationals living within the US and studying full-time, no more than the equivalent of one on-line/distance education class or 3 credits per semester, may be counted towards the ‘’full course of study’’ requirement (pg. 76271, Final Reg. of Federal Register Vol. 67 No 238 (f)(6)(i)(G). If living overseas, internationals can enroll in as many online courses as DTS allows.