Each student participating in these specialized cohorts will be part of a “Band of Brothers” type group that will be a mutual source of fellowship and encouragement. Cohort groups move through a select part of the program together, enjoying a community experience with fellow learners and mentor scholars. This method of study provides an excellent opportunity for students to interact and learn from others in their same areas of ministry as well as with a faculty advisor.
- Large Church Pastor
This emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for pastors serving in large churches. It is designed to support and promote pastoral leadership development through the evaluation of problems, programs and/or procedures unique to pastors of large churches. Attention is given to leadership development and case-study research method.
- Andy Seidel - Executive Director, Center for Christian Leadership; Adjunct Professor in DMin Studies
- Brad Smith - President of Bakke Graduate University of Ministry (BGU); Adjunct Professor in DMin Studies
- Chuck Swindoll - Chancellor of DTS; Senior Pastor, Stonebriar Community Church
- Executive and Associate Pastors
This emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for executive and associate pastors serving in in the local church. This training specialty supports and promotes pastoral leadership development through the evaluation of problems, programs and/or procedures unique to executive and associate church leaders. Attention is given to leadership development and case-study research method.
- Women in Ministry
This emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for women in ministry. It is designed to support and promote the complementary role of men and women in ministry.
- Joye Baker - Oversees the Women’s Ministry concentration in the MA/CE and ThM programs; Adjunct Professor in Christian Education
- Sue Edwards - Author of Mixed Ministry; Assistant Professor of Christian Education
- Church Health, Leadership and Multiplication
This emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for church pastors and church planters. It focuses on an evaluation of problems, programs and/or procedures unique to church leaders through case-study methodology, with special attention given to church, leadership development and ministry multiplication.
- Bob Rowley - EFCA Texas-Oklahoma District Superintendent; Adjunct Professor in DMin Studies
- Aubrey Malphurs - Senior Professor of Pastoral Ministries; Founder and Director of The Malphurs Group
- Marriage & Family Ministry
This emphasis explores biblical and theological foundations, cutting edge programs, and ministry education strategies. Certification in the use of research based tools for marriage and family educators will be included. A major focus will be to design sustainable context specific Marriage and Family Ministries particularly in the church.
- Mike Lawson - Department Chair and senior Professor of Christian Education
- Kurt Bruner - Executive Director for the Strong Families Innovation; Pastor of Spiritual Formation, Lake Pointe Church, Rockwall, Texas; Adjunct Professor in DMin Studies
- Advanced Expository Preaching
This cohort-based emphasis provides advanced training in the art and discipline of expository preaching as practiced in a church context. The courses will also address leading from the pulpit, long-range sermon planning, and preaching the major biblical genres with accuracy and creativity. This cohort-based program will further provide advanced study in audience analysis, variety in sermon structures, mentoring in homiletics and preaching to the post-modern generation. Key aspects of this cohort specialty are peer group interactive learning and individual mentoring in homiletics.
- Roger Raymer - Senior Pastor, Lake Ridge Bible Church, Mesquite, TX; Adjunct Faculty for Doctor of Ministry Studies
- D. Scott Barfoot - Director, Doctor of Ministry Studies
- Spiritual Formation
This cohort-based emphasis provides advanced training in Christian spiritual formation for ministry practitioners. Special attention will be given to the theology and history of Christian spirituality, personal and corporate practices of spiritual formation, and the process of providing spiritual nurture and guidance to others. This cohort-based program will further provide advanced study on such topics related to the history and practice of soul care, spiritual direction, and spiritual formation in small groups.
- Barry Jones - Department Chair and Assistant Professor of Spiritual Formation and Leadership
- Gail Seidel - Mentor/Advisor for Women’s Spiritual Formation. Adjunct Faculty for Doctor of Ministry
- Multicultural Ministry
This cohort-based emphasis provides advanced training in the practice of biblically and theologically oriented ministry for multicultural church leaders serving the local church and parachurch organizations. This cohort program is designed to help ministry leaders through a study of the principles, leadership issues, challenges and opportunities uniquely confronting multicultural church leaders with a goal of helping students take their ministry to next level. Attention is given to leadership development and case-study research method. This cohort is hosted at the Dallas Seminary, Houston Extension Campus.
- Mike Pocock - Department Chair & Professor of World Missions and Intercultural Studies
- Ray Chang - Founding & Senior Pastor Ambassador Church; Adjunct Professor in DMin Studies
- Todd Bradley - Associate Director of Dallas Theological Seminary/Houston; Adjunct Professor in World Missions and Intercultural Studies
- DMin Con Énfasis en Liderazgo Ministerial en Español
Beginning in 2014, Dallas Theological Seminary will begin offering occasional courses toward the DMin degree at Jordan Theological Seminary (JETS) in Amman, Jordon. This cohort has been created in response to an increasing need for higher-level biblical and theological training in the Middle East. Many JETS graduates and missionaries serving in the Arab World are not able to complete a PhD/ThD program or DMin program in that part of the world. Combining practical ministry with advanced seminary training, the JETS DMin cohort enables students to complete some of their doctoral work without leaving their country.
- Mike Lawson - Department Chair and senior Professor of Christian Education
- Jim Thames – Dean of Academic Administration and Associate Professor of Educational Ministries and Leadership
- Dr. Scott Barfoot - Director, Doctor of Ministry Studies
DMin Con Énfasis en Liderazgo Ministerial en EspañolEl énfasis en Liderazgo Ministerial en Español está diseñado para preparar estudiantes de habla hispana para una mayor efectividad en el ministerio en sus respectivas áreas de liderazgo. Es ofrecido en el campus del Seminario Teológico Centroamericano (SETECA) en la ciudad de Guatemala para líderes que sirven en el mundo hispano-ibérico. Los que estudian en este programa plantación de iglesias, predicación expositiva, liderazgo pastoral, familia y matrimonio, ministerio urbano, u otro tema relacionado con su ministerio.
Pastor, Redeemer Bible Church
“When I completed the ThM program in 1990 I eagerly jumped into the pastorate, but after 14 years of pastoral work, I had fallen into a rut. Enrolling in the DMin program re-sharpened and re-energized my ministry.”
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin)
- Doctor of Educational Ministry (DEdMin)
- DMin Program Overview
- Purpose & Goals
- Cohort-Based DMin Approach
- Admissions Requirements
- Scholarships & Discounts
- Course Requirements
- DMin Course Design
- Information for Church Boards
- Research Resources
- Sample Dissertations
- DMin en Español
- Important Dates