Accountant I (Assist Bursar, Gift & Deposit Processing)
Answer phone calls, emails, and greet and assist visitors that come to the Business Office, specifically helping students with questions and issues and directing students that need to discuss more difficult questions to the Bursar. They will become familiar with the student system (Jenzebar) and be able to look up student account balances in order to answer student questions. They will also support the Bursar with data entry for student activity in the student system and in the accounting system (Dynamics).
In addition, they will be responsible for downloading the daily lockbox transactions and entering the deposits into the account system, processing remote deposits, entering the appropriate journal entries in the accounting system for items such as the remote deposits, EFT donations, credit card donations, etc., and recording deposits that are brought to the business office.
Other administrative or accounting duties may be assigned to support the Business Office including sorting and distributing mail, scanning documents, filing paperwork, entering additional journals, helping with various reconciliations and inquiries related to reconciliations.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills – in person and on telephone.
- Excellent organizational skills, multi-tasking skills, and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong computer and accounting skills.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Must have positive, patient attitude, strong team player
- Accounting degree preferred; will consider Associates Degree in Accounting.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Greet visitors, students, faculty and staff that come to the Business Office
- Answer the phones and direct the calls.
- Respond to student basic inquiries and direct them to the Bursar as appropriate.
- Assist Bursar with managing phone calls and emails from students.
- Become proficient in the current student system (Jenzabar), to enter student related activity and be able to look up information in the student system to respond to student inquiries.
- Learn the new system (CNS) that is scheduled to be implemented in Spring/Summer 2021.
- Process checks through remote deposit. This includes all checks that come into the office, such as as tuition, rent, departmental income from Bookstore, Mail Services, etc.
- Prepare deposits for weekly courier pickup.
- Coordinate with Assistant Controller on journal entries for the weekly courier deposits as well as remote deposits.
- Maintain and count petty cash kept in Business Office safe. Handle change orders as requested by various departments.
- Daily download of lockbox transactions into PDF Files.
- Prepare journal entries to record the lockbox deposits.
- Process any credit card donations that come in through the lockbox.
- Process recurring EFT, credit card, and payroll donations.
- Prepare journal entries to record all lockbox deposits and all recurring EFT, credit card, and payroll donations.
- Prepare misc journal entries as requested.
- Other administrative duties to support the Business Office may include items such as sorting the mail, scanning documents, filing paperwork, and other clerical work as requested by CFO or Controller.