The Counseling Associate is responsible for providing counseling support to students at the DTS-DC Campus. The associate will use basic knowledge of counseling methods and techniques to address student wellness where emotional challenges and life adjustment issues are present. The counseling associate will report to the Director of Counseling Services.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-directed and motivated to serve others.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate student class schedules.
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office software.
- Capable of utilizing treatment planning software and database for documenting client visits and scheduling appointments.
- Attentive to ethical standards of professional practice.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in counseling, clinical mental health, marriage and family therapy, or related mental health field.
- Licensed Professional Counselor or Counselor in Resident license in good standing with the Virginia Board of Counseling.
- Practicum and internship experience working with adults preferred.
- Provide therapeutic counseling services to DTS students in individual and group settings on the DC campus.
- Obtain appropriate informed consent and intake information from students prior to rendering services.
- Assist student/clients in setting goals to address wellness.
- Develop treatment plans documenting student/client presenting problems and intervention strategies.
- Complete case notes from sessions highlighting the content, therapeutic assumptions, and plan for subsequent sessions.
- Helping student/clients navigate anxiety, depression, relationship struggles, self-esteem, traumatic stressors, and other common presenting problems.
- Educating student/clients on developing strategies and coping skills to experience the change they desire in their lives.
- Practice according to ethical standards and rules outlined by the American Counseling Association and the state licensing boards, respectively.