Help Desk Technician
This position is responsible to the Director of IT for assignments related to: support, configuration, recovery, and operational management of a portion of the Windows, Apple and Mobile infrastructure and related office and classroom technology. These systems support more than 400 employees and 2000 students in a demanding academic environment. This position follows the lead of the IT Director and other IT staff to help foster quality technical services within the entire Information Technology department. This position is expected to provide specific management and maintenance of designated systems running Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, Apple OSX and iOS/Android in support of DTS’ technology. This position will work with the desktop, systems, and support staff to help keep IT technology operational in an excellent manner. This position is responsible for assisting in the implementation and administration of many aspects of the IT office technology and participating in the completion of projects therein. Specifically, the viable candidate of choice will possess detailed knowledge and experience administering Windows 10 Pro and ongoing updates, as well as Mac OSX on ongoing patches/revisions and versions. This position should be obsessed with project completion, be task oriented, and be a self-starter. The approved candidate will be provided with project, technical review, and direction from the IT Director and/or assigned staff. Must be able to interface well with technical, non-technical, and management personnel across departmental and project boundaries and contribute substantially to the assigned project completion. This position will collaborate with IT teams to deploy IT services and provide expertise and assistance in support of Dallas Theological Seminary’s mission.
- Must meet the job description criteria for a competent systems technician working with Windows, Apple, and mobile operating systems on a daily basis. The IT dept. is looking for the technician of technicians who enjoys solving problems in a timely and efficient manner.
- Must be a self-starter who is very comfortable and not bored with repetitious routine tasks.
- Must be a team player, not just within the Desktop support/Helpdesk group but within IT, and more broadly be in full agreement with the DTS mission statement.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks to accomplish reasonable goals within a normal work week.
- Must treat coworkers and associates with proper dignity and respect.
- Good sense of humor.
- Knows how to maintain confidentiality.
- Analytical thinking skills.
- Has systematic troubleshooting ability.
- A creative spirit within a plodder personality.
- Able and willing to follow detailed instructions.
- The ideal candidate will possess two years’ experience performing Windows 10 Pro and Mac OSX (current) configuration and administration.
- Wifi connectivity troubleshooting experience.
- Mobility/PDA/Smartphone/Tablet troubleshooting experience.
- Experience supporting computers in an active directory, corporate style computing environment.
- Windows Scripting experience a definite plus.
- Skill with CrashPlan data recovery is a big plus.
- A demonstrable understanding and passion for fixing “things” in a prescribed orderly manner
- HP elitedesk, Microsoft Surface, and Mac experience preferred.
- Disk Drive imaging work related experience a plus.
- NTFS Permissions knowledge required.
- Windows Group Policy administration experience a plus.
- Self-starter; able to manage own projects efficiently for on-time delivery, detail oriented mandatory.
- Must be self-motivated; pro-active; a team player; and well spoken.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with heavy developer and support staff interaction.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to easily and effectively interact with technical, non-technical, support, and business staff at all levels.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills and experience communicating with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Professional appearance, attitude, and conduct.
- Is strongly committed to customer “buy-in” before any “forklift upgrades” are initiated.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to make decisions and provide recommendations that can affect an entire project/system/organization.
- Demonstrated aptitude to organize and follow large, high priority tasks through to completion and the ability to think and work in an organized and effective manner in an environment that has rapidly shifting and often contradictory demands and priorities.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field or comparable combination of education and field experience.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and implement work assignments.
- Helps keep team members clearly informed as to goals, direction, objectives, and treats team members with dignity.
Typical Education / Experience Prerequisites:
- Appropriate degree from an accredited college or equivalent experience/combined education, with professional experience and specialized training commensurate with assignments.
- Advanced Degree and/or experience in an academic setting preferred.
Employment is contingent on the results of a background check at the point of hire. We regret that we are unable to extend an invitation for an interview to every applicant. All applicants will be notified by email after the position has been filled. Please direct any questions or inquiries to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 214-887-5220.
Visit www.dts.edu/employment for an application!
- Will help ensure that IT policies and standards are observed.
- Installation, administration, monitoring, and triage of many technology products.
- Must be able to create and maintain IT documentation.
- Will work with the IT staff community to analyze and resolve problems associated with technical issues.
- Will assist in the escalation support for unresolved help desk issues.
- Regularly will be involved with the installation, administration, and monitoring of many Windows computers.
- Will help with IT support related to classroom technology, included, but not limited to digital projectors, scaling/sizing equipment, video conference equipment (including, but not limited to Microsoft Teams, WebEx, Zoom and Lifesize)
- At times will provide technical consultation for other members of the IT department.
- May evaluate and recommend testing and evaluation of new procedures, software, and hardware.
- Other tasks as directed by DTS management and IT department personnel.