The Pastoral Counselor is responsible for providing non-clinical Bible-based pastoral counseling support to employees of the seminary. The pastoral counselor will use basic knowledge of counseling methods and Scripture for those who choose to address their emotional challenges and issues from a spiritual perspective. The pastoral counselor will report to the Director of Counseling Services.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-directed and motivated to serve others.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate student class schedules.
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office software.
- Capable of utilizing treatment planning software and client management database for documenting client visits and scheduling appointments.
- Attentive to moral and ethical standards of the Seminary.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in pastoral counseling, Christian/biblical counseling, chaplaincy, or related mental health field.
- Licensed or ordained clergy (Required)
- Evidenced history of working with individuals, couples, and groups from a pastoral perspective in a church or faith-based setting.
- Provide pastoral counseling services to DTS faculty, staff, and their families in individual and group settings on the Dallas campus.
- Obtain appropriate informed consent specific to the pastoral counseling approach and intake information from faculty, staff, and their family members prior to rendering services.
- Assist clients in setting goals to address personal conflict, marital and family, and other issues from a biblical and spiritual perspective.
- Develop plans that document client presenting problems and prescribe biblical and spiritual intervention strategies.
- Complete progress notes from sessions highlighting the content, pastoral counselor insights, and plan for subsequent sessions.
- Helping students navigate anxiety, depression, relationship struggles, self-esteem, traumatic stressors, and other common presenting problems when a pastoral counseling approach is preferred.