Master of Divinity (MDiv)*
Dallas Theological Seminary
Comparing a traditional MDiv to a DTS ThM
Many seminaries offer a 3-year Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree, and they allow students to earn a Master of Theology (ThM) by studying for an additional year.
Dallas Theological Seminary has merged this model into our unique 4-year Master of Theology (ThM) degree that offers students all the essential theological courses offered in a three-year curriculum with additional emphasis in systematic theology, Hebrew and Old Testament exegesis, Greek and New Testament exegesis, and Bible exposition. In addition, students can use up to 29 hours to create a customized emphasis in areas like apologetics, urban studies, women's ministry, or Jesus studies. Students can also earn up to 12 hours serving at a church or ministry through a residency internship.
Students who have earned a 3-year MDiv at another institution can still come to DTS for an additional year of study, but at DTS this degree is called a Master of Sacred Theology (STM) rather than a ThM.
Online and Distance Studies
In addition to the ThM program, DTS offers several 2-year theology degrees such as the Master of Arts in Christian Leadership (MACL) which can be completed via distance education through a combination of online courses, a 12-hour ministry residency internship, and weeklong intensives at one of our eight locations.
DTS also offers three fully online seminary programs, the Certificate of Graduate Studies (30 hours), the Master of Biblical and Theological Studies (36 hours), and the Master of Arts in Christian Studies (60 hours).
* DTS does not offer a traditional MDiv degree and this page explains DTS's unique degree offerings.
- Team Admissions
- Online Education
- Degree Programs
- Doctor of Educational Ministry (DEdMin)
- MA Overview
- Master of Theology (ThM)
- MA in Biblical Counseling
- MA in Christian Education
- MA in Christian Leadership
- MA in Cross-cultural Ministries
- MA in Media Arts and Worship
- MA (Biblical Linguistics)
- Master of Sacred Theology
- MA (Christian Studies)
- Master of Biblical and Theological Studies
- Certificate of Graduate Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin)
- Master of Divinity (MDiv)
- Which Degree is Right for Me?
- Tuition & Fees
- Scholarships & Discounts
- International Students
- Visit Campus
- Online Chat