Advising Center

Frequently Asked Questions

It’s my first semester. Which classes should I take?

This depends on your degree program. All of our Master’s and Certificate programs require BE101: Bible Study Methods and Hermeneutics. If you are going to start with just one course this is often the best one. If you will be taking more than one course, consult our degree planning guide. Still have questions? Contact the Advising Center.

When do I register for classes? How do I register?

Summer and Fall registration takes place each March. Winter and Spring registration takes place each October. Registration occurs via Campus Net. Check out our registration video for more information.

I’m having trouble registering. Who can help me?

For technical questions regarding course registration, please contact the Registrar’s Office via email. For questions about course selection and degree planning, see the Advising Center.

I have a registration hold. How can I register for classes?

CampusNet will notify you of the reason for your hold, and how you can resolve it. For technical questions regarding course registration, please contact our Registrar’s Office.

How do I find out which classes will be offered?

The course schedule page lists courses offered as soon as the schedule is completed. Courses available online are offered in that format each Fall, Spring, and Summer. Planned course offerings are available from the academic department offering the course and online.

How do I know which books I need for my classes?

The definitive list of course texts is in your course syllabus (accessible via the course schedule page). You can also access a preliminary course textbook list via CampusNet. Questions related to course texts and requirements should be directed to your professor.

How many classes should I take?

This really depends on you! Most successful students budget around 10 hours per week for each 3 credit-hour class.

For help determining how much time you have to spend on school, check out our time management calculator.

How much work should I expect from my classes?

The Student Handbook stipulates that for every hour spent in lecture each week, students should plan on spending an additional 2-3 hours each week devoted to class work and reading. This means that for a typical 3 credit-hour course, students should plan to spend 2-3 hours in lecture each week, followed by an additional 4-6 hours outside the time spent in lecture. Most successful students budget around 10 hours each week for each 3 credit-hour course.

For help determining how much time you have to spend on school, check out our time management calculator.

Where do I find my course syllabi and course files?

Course syllabi (if available) can be accessed via the course schedule page. Your course files can be accessed via Canvas. For questions about course syllabi, files, or requirements, contact your course professor.

What are my degree requirements?

Your degree requirements are determined by the catalog under which you (re)entered DTS, reclassified, or added a degree. For help determining your degree requirements, check out our degree planning guide.

How do I meet with an Academic Advisor?

Academic Advisors meet with students in person and over the phone. You can schedule an appointment online at for the Dallas campus. Houston Students can contact our Houston campus. DC students can contact our DC campus. International students should contact the Director of International Student Services.

I have completed graduate level coursework elsewhere. How will it be evaluated?

Eligible coursework is automatically evaluated based on criteria determined by our Registrar's Office. If you've been accepted to DTS, and you have submitted current transcripts from eligible institutions, your transfer credit will be automatically evaluated. Please contact the Registrar's Office for questions regarding transfer credit.

What are some important dates to know?

The Registrar’s Office maintains a list of important dates, including the refund schedule for courses.

Here are some important dates to know:

Date Details

Winter Session Week 2
Spring Semester Starts
International Student Scholarship Application


Fall Scholarship Application


Summer/Fall Schedule Released
Registration for Summer/Fall Courses


Summer Graduation Application Due
Payment Deadline for Summer


Spring Commencement
Summer Session Starts


Summer Intensive Courses


Fall Graduation Application Due
Fall Semester Starts


Spring Scholarship Application


Register for Winter/Spring Courses


Spring Graduation Application Due
Winter Session Week

When is the last day to add or drop classes?

This depends on the class. Consult the tuition refund schedule for precise information. When a student drops a course after the refund period, he or she automatically receives a “WF” (withdrew failing), which factors into the GPA as an F. If the student was passing the course when dropped, the course professor may change the grade to a “WP” (withdrew passing). Students who drop courses due to extenuating circumstances may request a reduced penalty for dropping the course by completing a Credits Committee Petition.

Consult the Registrar’s Office for the last possible day to add a particular class.

Can I add or reduce hours from a course?

It is possible to request a reduction or addition to the number of credit hours for a course. This is only possible if the hours are not required for a student’s degree, with the professor’s permission. See the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Which courses are available online?

Check out our online course availability at the Advising Center page.

How can I be successful in my online classes?

We’ve compiled a list of tips for successful online learning. In order to be successful in this format, it’s important to treat an online class in the same structured way you would a traditional on-campus course by creating a designated time and location in which you will attend to your course without distraction.

I am interested in changing my degree program. How do I do this?

Requesting a change in degree program usually entails a change in the goals toward which you are pursuing a seminary education. The most important question you can ask yourself when considering which degree will best suit you is “why do I need a DTS education to be more equipped to serve God?” Your degree choice should be based on what will best prepare you for your ministry goals.

The criteria for reclassifying into a degree program are the same as those for admission into that program as a new student. Therefore reclassifying should not be viewed as a way to obtain a Dallas Theological Seminary degree in order to enter a ministry for which the degree is not intended. Specifically, students with full-time ministry goals should not reclassify into the MBTS or MA(CS), which are not profession-preparatory degrees (adapted from the DTS Student Handbook, section 1.30).

Before considering a change in degree program, you should consult with trusted mentors and advisors in the community of faith to discern how DTS fits into helping you become best equipped for service to God. Academic Advisors are also available to help with this.

The formal procedure requires review by our Admissions Office. Simply submit the Reclassification request form via Campus Net to begin the process. It can take 4-6 weeks for your application to be reviewed.

How do I access my Logos Bible software package?

New students and students returning from a leave of absence (LOA) will receive access to Logos several weeks after their first semester begins. Please follow the instructions at the bottom of the Logos FAQ page for more information.

I’m having trouble with Logos. Whom do I contact?

See the bottom of the Logos FAQ page for more assistance.

What is an Agape Project?

Agape Projects are service learning assignments required for all ThM students entering DTS Fall 2015 and later. Individual professors may require Agape Projects for all their students as well. Questions regarding the Agape Project can be directed to Agape Project staff.

Where can I find out information about graduation?

The commencement website contains most information required for graduates including minutes from our graduating class meetings. Graduating students must complete the graduation application and references online via Campus Net according to the following schedule:

Date Details
December 1

Spring Commencement Participants Receiving Degree in Summer
Spring Graduates

April 1

Summer Graduates (not participating in Spring Commencement before receiving degree)

August 1

Fall Graduates

Where is my file folder?

Dallas campus students will sometimes receive assignments back in their on-campus file folders, located in the Walvoord Student Center. You can find your file folder number online via CampusNet, under your biographical information. Online or distance students should receive their assignments back electronically from their professors.

What is the TBTK?

The Test of Biblical and Theological Knowledge is a pre- and post- seminary test designed to measure how much you have learned since coming to DTS. You will be asked to complete this test online at the beginning and end of your DTS experience.

Whom do I contact for questions about DTS Online?

For technical questions related to Canvas, our online learning platform, contact our Online and Distance Education Office at For questions related to grading ou course content, contact your professor.

I need to take a semester off. What do I do?

Students are able to take up to one year off classes by filing a leave of absence request form online via CampusNet.

How do I sign up for a spouse audit or ThM “Tuition Free” course?

Please complete the electronic form available via CampusNet.

Can I extend my course past the end of the semester?

This may only be possible in the case of extenuating circumstances (as defined in section 1.33 of the DTS Student Handbook). Consult with your course professor to see if an extension is possible. If your professor approves, submit a Credits Committee Petition online.

What paper and citation format does DTS require? How can I receive help writing my papers?

Many of your DTS courses will require papers to be completed in Turabian format. Many of our DTS degrees require RS101: Orientation and Research Methods, in which Turabian is discussed at length. Those who are not required to take RS101 may audit the course for a nominal fee. For those who will not take RS101, Turabian helps are available through the DTS Library. For our international students, DTS has a writing coach on staff, accessible through our International Student Office.

I am a distance student. How can I access DTS library resources?

We have many electronic and distance resources available for our online and extension location students. Please visit the library website for assistance.

Do I qualify for financial aid? How do I apply?

DTS provides limited scholarship assistance for qualified students who demonstrate financial need. Complete the DTS scholarship application in September and February via CampusNet in order to be considered for DTS scholarships. International students must submit the application once each year in January. Questions regarding financial aid can be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.

Does the Seminary offer any payment plans?

Yes! DTS has partnered with Tuition Management Systems (TMS) in order to offer a low-cost payment plan.

Which fees are charged each semester?

All new students are charged the Orientation Fee and the Advance Deposit. Each semester all students are charged the General Fee and the Technology Fee. Those participating in Spiritual Formation are charged the Spiritual Formation Fee, and those registered for internships are charged the Internship Assessment Fee. Each semester, students are charged the Activity Fee for access to Baylor’s fitness facilities. Those who do not wish to participate must opt-out of this opportunity via Campus Net by the deadline.

How can I estimate my bill for the semester?

You can estimate your bill by first multiplying the tuition rate by the number of credit hours you plan to take. Then, add any applicable fees. All students must pay the General Fee and Technology Fee. Other fees may apply depending on your situation.

What is chapel? Am I required to attend?

DTS invites speakers from around the world to minister to students, faculty, staff, and friends by speaking in our chapel. At our Dallas Campus, chapel generally takes place Tuesday-Friday from 10:40am to 11:20am during fall and spring semesters. Most students are required to attend chapel in some form. Contact our Chaplain’s office for more information. Chapel attendance must be reported twice each semester.

Does DTS provide on-campus housing? Where should I live?

Yes! Please contact our Housing Office for information about on-campus housing and housing in the DFW area.

I will be taking an intensive course at the Dallas campus. Where should I stay?

Our Housing Office sometimes provides temporary subleasing opportunities for students and family of students staying at our Dallas campus. Contact our Housing Office for more information.

How do I find a job?

DTS maintains a list of employers seeking DTS students to fill positions in their organizations. Registered students may access the list using their DTS ID number. Accepted students should contact their Admissions Counselor for help accessing the job board.

Alumni seeking employment should request assistance from our Alumni and Placement Office.

How can I plan my time effectively?

In order to be successful at DTS, it’s important to balance your time between work, school, family, and ministry in a healthy way. Seek out mentoring relationship on campus and in your church in order to gain the support of community as you progress through your program. Our time management calculator can also help.

How can I find information about orientation?

Orientation is overseen by our Department of Student Services. Feel free to contact them for information about orientation.

Where can I park on campus? How do I get a parking pass?

Parking is overseen by our Campus Police. They can be contacted at 214-887-5590 and are located in the Horner Administration Building.

How do I update my biographical information or planned graduation session?

You can update your biographical information and planned graduation session online via CampusNet.

How do I login to DTS online?

Your login ID for,, and is your student ID number. Your password may be different for each of these. If you are having difficulty remembering your password, reset it using the links provided at each of these sites.

I am having personal issues. With whom can I speak?

DTS has several trained personal advisors and a licensed professional counselor on staff. These staff members are here for you! Feel free to contact our Department of Student Services to set up an appointment.

Are there any services available for my wife?

The DTS Seminary Wives in Ministry (SWIM) program is designed to help support your wife throughout your time in Seminary. Additional information can be accessed through our Department of Student Services.

What social services are available to me as a DTS student?

DTS provides help with food and clothing needs through Luke's ministries, open periodically to provide free food and clothing to students in need.